Re: Status of 'cris' architecture support in Linux kernel

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun Aug 31 2014 - 14:50:00 EST

On 08/31/2014 11:33 AM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:50:10AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
The idea was to create a crisv32 kernel and initramfs to work with qemu
for the ongoing Linux kernel test project.

After spending a number of days (and nights) on it, the results don't look
very encouraging.

My overall conclusion is that 'cris' architecture support in the Linux kernel
is in bad shape, does not work anymore, and would require substantial effort
to get it into working state.

Anyway, below are my individual findings. If there is an ongoing effort to
improve cris support in the upstream kernel, specifically support for crisv32,
please let me know. I'll be happy to test the resulting kernels.

Jesper is on parental leave so do not expect any prompt reply from him.

Individual findings:

headers_install

make ARCH=cris INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/tmp headers_install

results in:

./scripts/Makefile.headersinst:14: arch/cris/include/uapi/asm/arch-v10/Kbuild:
No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `arch/cris/include/uapi/asm/arch-v10/Kbuild'. Stop.
I have already sent a fix for this that Michael said he wanted to deal with.

Hi Sam,

That is great. Note there is a second part besides the failure itself:
The resulting installed headers don't work and need a post-installation
patch, as mentioned in my previous e-mail. Would be great if you can
look into this as well (if you did not do so already).

Thanks,
Guenter