Re: [RFC v1 0/3] driver-core: add asynch module loading support

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Aug 31 2014 - 15:26:15 EST

On 8/31/2014 10:52 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 07:05:26AM -0400, Tejun Heo wrote:
On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 07:02:00AM -0400, Tejun Heo wrote:
So, something like the following. A couple things to note

* driver_attach() can never fail but is marked with __must_check. We
prolly should change it to void.

* Old/weird userspace which depends on insmod to wait for device
probing might choke and the new behavior might need to be switched
somehow (sysctl, insmod param or whatever).

One more thing.

* Use of ordered workqueue probably isn't necessary and using
system_unbound_wq should be fine.

For my use case (touchpad taking long time to initialize) I explicitly do not
want it to keep order of initialization. I want to make sure the rest of the
kernel continues initialization while touchpad device resets.

but we do that right now

you know its there synchronous
and do the heavy stuff async

now sadly we also wait for the touchpad to finish init if you don't use an initramfs
(but we dont wait if you have an initramfs) but that's a different thing from all of this