Re: [REGRESSION] "efi: efistub: Convert into static library" and preparation patches

From: Matt Fleming
Date: Tue Sep 02 2014 - 15:29:50 EST

On Tue, 02 Sep, at 05:25:58PM, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hey,
>
> My macbook pro 8.2 fails to do a efi stub boot with these patches.
>
> Commit f23cf8bd5c1f49 "efi/x86: efistub: Move shared dependencies to <asm/efi.h>"
> causes the first break, but this can be averted by changing
>
> struct efi_config *efi_early;

> struct efi_config *efi_early __attribute__((visibility("hidden")));

Weird. That sounds like a bug in the Apple EFI PE loader. Does any other
visibility result in a working kernel?

> I also need to revert commit f4f75ad5741fe "efi: efistub: Convert into static library"
> to get boot working.

I'll take a look at the symbol changes between these commits and try and
guess what's going on.

> I'm not an early boot expert, so I have no idea what's going on here.
> Only console output I see when the boot fails is "setup_efi_pci() failed!" after
> the commit that adds this message.

Yeah, that should be unrelated.

Thanks for the report.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center