[RFC] smt-aware rt load balancer

From: Roman Gushchin
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 08:25:27 EST

Hello!

We had an earlier discussion about using real-time policies on modern CPUs
for cpu-bound tasks with "near real-time" execution time expectations (like front-end servers):
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/24/602 .

I sad, that I had a prototype of real-time load balancer (called smart), that performs well in this case.

Now it's ready to be published.

The patch set on top of the 3.10.x branch can be found here:
https://github.com/yandex/smart .

It's stable.
We use them in production for a couple of months on more than thousand machines.
We get noticeable performance increase for many projects with different load patterns
(up to 10-15% in both RPS and latency).

Any feedback, comments, questions are welcome!

Regards,
Roman