Re: regression caused by cgroups optimization in 3.17-rc2

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 05:25:46 EST

On Thu 04-09-14 13:27:26, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On 09/04/2014 07:27 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > Ouch. free_pages_and_swap_cache completely kills the uncharge batching
> > because it reduces it to PAGEVEC_SIZE batches.
> >
> > I think we really do not need PAGEVEC_SIZE batching anymore. We are
> > already batching on tlb_gather layer. That one is limited so I think
> > the below should be safe but I have to think about this some more. There
> > is a risk of prolonged lru_lock wait times but the number of pages is
> > limited to 10k and the heavy work is done outside of the lock. If this
> > is really a problem then we can tear LRU part and the actual
> > freeing/uncharging into a separate functions in this path.
> >
> > Could you test with this half baked patch, please? I didn't get to test
> > it myself unfortunately.
>
> 3.16 settled out at about 11.5M faults/sec before the regression. This
> patch gets it back up to about 10.5M, which is good.

Dave, would you be willing to test the following patch as well? I do not
have a huge machine at hand right now. It would be great if you could
run the same load within a !root memcg. We have basically the same
sub-optimality there as well. The root bypass will be re-introduced for
now but I think we can make the regular memcg load better regardless and
this would be also preparation for later root bypass removal again.
---