Re: [GIT PULL] bcache changes for 3.17

From: Stefan Priebe
Date: Fri Sep 05 2014 - 14:46:04 EST

Am 05.09.2014 20:33, schrieb Kent Overstreet:
On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:10:13AM -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
On 09/05/2014 11:03 AM, Arne Wiebalck wrote:

On Sep 5, 2014, at 6:41 PM, Peter Kieser <peter@xxxxxxxxx>

On 2014-09-05 8:37 AM, Eddie Chapman wrote:
On 05/09/14 15:17, Jens Axboe wrote:
(from oldest to newest). And that's just from 3.16 to 3.17-rc3, going
all the way back to 3.10 would be a lot of work. If there's anyone that
cares about bcache on stable kernels (and actually use it), now would be
a good time to pipe up.

Just "piping up" as I care about bcache and actually use it in production on 3.10! Shame I don't have the knowledge to try and backport these though :-)

Eddie

I'm "piping up" as well, I use bcache on 3.10 in production.

-Peter

More "piping up": we currently use bcache on a few nodes in production, on 3.14 and 3.15, and plan to roll it out on a wider scale now.
If necessary we'll go with these kernels, but we'd certainly prefer our usual 3.10-based CentOS kernel.

OK, so we definitely have people using it in production. My concern was
that whomever does the backport of the appropriate patches to 3.10/14/15
stable would have an audience for getting some amount of testing of such
a patch series.

Now we just need someone to line up to do the work...

I can try and make some time for backporting; if we've got people lined up for
testing that will help a lot.

Backporting fixes to 3.10 will be harder, but if memory serves there hasn't been
as much churn since 3.14 so backporting fixes to then shouldn't be too bad. If
Stefan wants to post what he's got for 3.10 though I can try and backport some
more fixes on top of that, though

You'll find them here:
https://github.com/profihost/linux-stable/commits/bcache_latest_fixes

Most probably you don't want the last four.

Stefan