Re: [systemd-devel] [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM

From: Ceriel Jacobs
Date: Wed Sep 10 2014 - 06:08:09 EST

Tom Gundersen schreef op 10-09-14 om 08:46:
>Indeed. What I proposed with a multiplier for the timeout for the
>different types of built in commands was deemed complex but saw no
>alternatives proposed despite my interest to work on one and
>clarifications noted that this was a design regression. Not quite sure
>what else I could have done here. I'm interested in learning what the
>better approach is for the future as if we want to marry init + kernel
>we need a smooth way for us to discuss design without getting worked
>up about it, or taking it personal. I really want this to work as I
>personally like systemd so far.
How about this: keep the timeout global, but also introduce a
(relatively short, say 10 or 15 seconds) timeout after which a warning
is printed. Even if nothing is actually killed, having workers (be it
insmod or something else) take longer than a couple of seconds is
likely a sign that something is seriously off somewhere.

I don't agree with the statement that something is seriously off when it takes more then 10 to 15 seconds.

When probing only one hard disk drive, then I do agree that something is seriously off after 10 to 15 seconds.

When probing a SAS bus with one hundred hard disk drives in standby mode, then I do expect that to take longer then 10 to 15 seconds.