Re: repeated bugs in new rtl wifi drivers

From: Larry Finger
Date: Thu Sep 11 2014 - 20:31:28 EST

On 09/11/2014 06:50 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/11/2014 05:27 PM, Kees Cook wrote:

Hi,

I keep fixing this same bug that keeps showing up in the rtl wifi
drivers. CL_PRINTF keeps getting redefined (incorrectly) instead of
using a correctly fixed global. Is there a way to stop this from
happening again?

Here are the past three (identical) fixes I've landed:
a3355a62673e2c4bd8617d2f07c8edee92a89b8d
037526f1ae7eeff5cf27ad790ebfe30303eeebe8
6437f51ec36af8ef1e3e2659439b35c37e5498e2

And the buildbot report below seems to show there are more to be made. :)

Sorry that I missed your fix. I should have seen it come through Linville's
list. I will push your fix through again.

Well, I should clarify: it's not getting unfixed/reverted, but rather,
it hasn't been consolidated to avoid needing the code again in the
future. All three of the fixes above are on almost identical header
files. If we could consolidate them, that would be great, and it would
keep things much nicer.

The two in staging are there because there was need to have those two driver available as quickly as possible. Even though a lot of code is the same as the regular tree, there were enough differences that it has taken a lot of work to merge those two new drivers into the wireless tree. It is part of that effort that ended up effectively reverting your fix for the wireless tree.

My plan is to ultimately eliminate all the CL_SNPRINTF and CL_PRINTF stuff. In every case I have seen, the two are paired, thus they can be replaced with a simple "pr_info". Now that we are unifying the Realtek and kernel codes, I need to check with the Realtek guys.

Larry