Re: Run a script with cap_net_bind_service - mission impossible.

From: Junien Fridrick
Date: Tue Sep 16 2014 - 19:41:37 EST

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 01:07:03PM +0000, Aleksei Besogonov wrote:
> Hi!

Hi,

> It seems that it's totally impossible to start a script with
> cap_net_bind_service capability and as a non-root user without modifying
> system-wide settings.
>
> I've trawled the Net for a solution that should be exceedingly simple. I
> want to run a daemon under a non-privileged account AND allow it to bind to
> 'secure' ports (443, 589 and 53). So far I found the following non-solutions:
>
> - Use iptables to redirect ports. Doesn't work with local traffic.

Unless I'm missing something, you can use iptables to redirect ports even for
local traffic : you need to use the OUTPUT chain. For example, if I run :
# iptables -t nat -I OUTPUT -p tcp -d 192.168.0.1 --dport 1245 -j REDIRECT --to-port 1246

and then from the same machine, run :
$ nc -v 192.168.0.1 1245

The connection will be redirected to port 1246. Doesn't that answer your use
case ?