Re: [REGRESSION] "efi: efistub: Convert into static library" and preparation patches

From: Matt Fleming
Date: Mon Sep 22 2014 - 17:07:20 EST

On Mon, 22 Sep, at 02:44:23PM, Josh Boyer wrote:

> This wound up in rc6 as commit
> 9cb0e394234d244fe5a97e743ec9dd7ddff7e64b. That caused all the EFI
> machines I have to no longer boot. They hang after the 'setup_efi_pci
> failed' message and I get nothing from the kernel at all, even with
> earlyprintk, etc.
>
> I did a git bisect between rc5 and rc6 and it points to this commit.
> This is a typical Fedora setup, which is EFI->shim->grub2->kernel. It
> broke the boot on multiple machines I have, and I've confirmed that a
> revert on top of rc6 makes things boot again on both my macbook and my
> tunnel mountain machine. I'll be testing it on my celeron and i7
> based NUC machines as well, but I expect similar results.

Thanks for doing the bisect.

I've now booted with this commit using grub2 and it boots fine on Qemu.
I don't have a shim setup, but I'll look at sorting one out.

> Is there something I can do to help debug why this is failing on this
> kind of setup? Config and bisect log are attached below for the
> macbook I used for the bisect.

Could you provide the dmesg of a working boot? I'm curious to know more
about your memory map layout.

Other than that, trying to diagnose exactly where it hangs during
booting would be useful.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center