Re: [GIT PULL] x86 fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Sep 23 2014 - 01:35:22 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Please pull the latest x86-urgent-for-linus git tree from:
>
> I only just noticed, but this pull request causes my Sony Vaio
> laptop to immediately reboot at startup.
>
> I'm assuming it's one of the efi changes, but I'm bisecting now
> to say exactly where it happens. It will get reverted.

I've Cc:-ed Matt.

My guess would be one of these two EFI commits:

* Fix early boot regression affecting x86 EFI boot stub when loading
initrds above 4GB - Yinghai Lu

47226ad4f4cf x86/efi: Only load initrd above 4g on second try

* Relocate GOT entries in the x86 EFI boot stub now that we have
symbols with global visibility - Matt Fleming

9cb0e394234d x86/efi: Fixup GOT in all boot code paths

If it's 9cb0e394234d - then it's perhaps a build quirk, or a bug
in the assembly code. If so then we'd have to revert this, and
reintroduce another regression, caused by EFI commit
f23cf8bd5c1f49 in this merge window. The most recent commit is
easy to revert, the older one not.

If it's 47226ad4f4cf then we'd reintroduce the regression caused
by 4bf7111f501 in the previous merge window. They both revert
cleanly after each other - but it might be safer to just revert
the most recent one.

My guess is that your regression is caused by 47226ad4f4cf.

Sorry about this, the timing is unfortunate.

Thanks,

Ingo