reboot housekeeping, lack thereof, is messing with me

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Oct 12 2014 - 13:21:40 EST

To whomever is in charge of the supposedly volatile LCK.. files in
/var/lock:

Its my understanding that these files should be volatile when they
represent a USB usage, because a USB device can be unplugged instantly and
at any time. The device nicely and dutifully disappears from an 'ls /dev'
listing when a device is unplugged.

Why is it then that the /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB1 file is always left behind,
so it screws up any possibility of doing a nice clean reboot and restart
of the program that uses it?

/var/lock is not now nor has it ever been volatile storage since its on
the drive forever, or until one becomes root, deletes it, and then reboots
the machine. That just cost me a days work, testing usb cables etc with a
digital storage scope and a chip replacement on the other systems
motherboard that in all likelyhood wasn't needed.

Is this fixable?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)