RFE: kernel message "rport-2:0-10: blocked FC remote port time out: removing rport"

From: Ulrich Windl
Date: Fri Oct 24 2014 - 04:09:40 EST

Hi!

I'd like to point out that the following Fibre CHannel error message is of little practical use, because it lacks essential information:

kernel: [ 68.406963] rport-2:0-10: blocked FC remote port time out: removing rport
(Seen in the current SLES11 SP3 kernel 3.0.101-0.40-default)

As the logical port is removed (as the message says), you cannot find out what device (i.e. WWN) the problem message refers to.

For existing ports in /sys/class/fc_remote_ports/ you can query port_id, port_name, port_state, etc. But once the port is removed, you cannot get any information about it.

In a real environment, you cannot easily guess where the problem might be, especially as there is no other message about "rport-2:0-10" before it's being removed.

I suggest to include the port ID (you can get the HBA WWN from that) and port WWN (the target device port) in the erro message if possible.

Regards,
Ulrich Windl