Re: [patch 1/3] ipmi: Setup ipmi_devintf automatically if ipmi_msghandler gets loaded

From: Thomas Renninger
Date: Tue Oct 28 2014 - 08:10:26 EST

On Friday, October 24, 2014 12:40:56 PM Wilck, Martin wrote:
> Thomas,
>

> > > I vote for MODULE_SOFTDEP for upstream, and modalias for distros that
> > > don't support MODULE_SOFTDEP yet.
> >
> > I vote for ipmi_msghandler.c renaming into ipmi_handler.c
>

> sorry, I am not with you here. This is a small problem that should be
> handled with small effort. Why apply a 3-part patch set for a problem
> that can be solved with 2 modalias lines in user space?

Because it is wrong.
In fact this is about a 10 line change.
The file move is no code change at all.
With a modalias added in userspace this will show up in different
distributions again and again.
I agree that a modalias makes sense for SLE and this is probably
what we will go for.
But it would be nice to have this fixed in mainline properly.

Thanks,

Thomas