Re: [RFC/PATCH] gpio/pinctrl: baytrail: move gpio driver from pinctrl to gpio directory

From: David Cohen
Date: Tue Oct 28 2014 - 12:53:45 EST

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 04:10:26PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 3:53 AM, David Cohen
> <david.a.cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:01:23AM +0300, Mika Westerberg wrote:
>
> >> In an ideal world, yes. However, the reality has shown that BIOS/FW gets
> >> these wrong and we need to work it around in the OS.
> >
> > But we never upstream these workarounds, right? :)
>
> Unless you discover it after it hits the market, right?

This is quite unlikely to happen. A pin mux misconfigured would have
quite bad side effects. But considering it happens, IMHO not even this
case would make an upstreamed baytrail pinctrl API consumer correct. The
FW should get updated instead. But...

> I think this driver is just fine exactly where it is. Besides, the driver
> is fully aware of all its pins, and just look at all the pull up etc
> information displayed by byt_gpio_dbg_show(), it doesn't get more
> pin control than that even if you don't implement the pin control
> API.

... considering the development boards + the case you mentioned above,
my RFC got more buried than it already was :)

Br, David