Re: Cache Allocation Technology Design

From: Vikas Shivappa
Date: Wed Oct 29 2014 - 13:41:52 EST

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 04:32:04PM +0000, Auld, Will wrote:
I maybe repeating what Peter has just said but for elements in the
hierarchy where the mask is the same as its parents mask there is no
need for a separate CLOS even in the case where there are tasks in the
group. So we can inherit the CLOS of the parent until which time both
the mask is different than the parent and there are tasks in the
group.

I did not state that explicitly, but I did think about that. We could
still wait to allocate a CLOS until at least one such group acquires a
task.

Was wondering if it is a requirement of the 'full hierarchy' for the child to inherit the cbm of parent ? .
Alternately we can allocate the CLOSid when a cgroup is created and have an empty cbm - but dont let the tasks to be added unless the user assigns a cbm. Cpuset does something similar where its necessary to set the cpu mask(empty by default) of a cgroup before adding tasks.