Re: A desktop environment[1] kernel wishlist

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Oct 29 2014 - 16:26:27 EST

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:19:56PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> For a tablet, isn't the relevant piece of information whether the power
> button was recently pressed, not whether the power button caused the wakeup?

For Android L devices, it has been reported that the device might
power up its screen fully (note I didn't say 'wake up') automatically
when it detects that you are picking it up, or when you double-tap the
screen. It also reportedly has a low power black and white "ambient
display" (ala the Android Wear devics) which allows you to see
notifications without waking up the phone all the way[1]. (All of
this assuming appropriate hardware support, of course.)

[1] http://www.androidauthority.com/ambient-display-lollipop-541198/

Which goes back to the concept of having a "suspend" mode is legacy
thinking. Modern devices will soon have not just a "awake" and a
"asleep" modes; there will be (well, is now) a much wider spectrum of
modes, with the goal of using the minimum amount of power while still
providing use functionality to the user.

- Ted