Re: [RFC v2 1/4] backports: replace CPTCFG prefix for CONFIG_BACKPORT

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Fri Oct 31 2014 - 03:41:27 EST

On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 01:21 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> From: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@xxxxxxxx>
>
> In order to support built-in kernel integration we want to use
> a more generic approach to defining symbols, CPTCFG was nice as
> it was short and relied on the fact that kconfig can work with
> a getenv(CONFIG_) but for kernel integration this doesn't work
> so well. Instead let's just stick to the regular CONFIG_
> namespace and add the BACKPORT prefix to it.
>
> Apart from these expected changes:
>
> for i in $(find ./ | grep -v "\.git"); do perl -pi -e'$_ =~ s|CPTCFG|CONFIG_BACKPORT|gs;' $i; done

I really think you need to make this optional for the in-tree
generation, otherwise it will complicate things a lot for anyone who's
already using backports in a way that doesn't have it regenerated all
the time.

Additionally, CPTCFG_ had the advantage of having the same length as
CONFIG_, so code style wise it was nicer to replace.

Please make this a post-process step that runs on everything, including
the backport stuff, rather than running only on the source and assuming
the backport stuff already uses this convention.

johannes