Re: N900 modem support in 3.18-rc1

From: Pali RohÃr
Date: Fri Nov 14 2014 - 12:34:27 EST

wrote:
> > [...]
> > https://gitorious.org/linux-n900/freemangordons-linux-n900/c
> > ommits/30e9a5c498a89cea4c29523f69e436bf0af3c631
> >
> > commits 89ce13b, b81d80d, ec4d0dc, 91256e2 and 8022a6d -
> > e29f558 (no idea why gitorious shows those mixed with SGX
> > stuff, on my local tree it is contiguous patch series)
> >
> > didn't test against the current upstream, but I see no
> > reason why those should not apply, build and run.
>
> The patch looks ok. It does not cleanup the cmt-speech driver
> for mainline usage, but it should work. Before adding this
> driver to the mainline kernel there should be open source
> userspace support anyway.
>
> Btw. I am aware that this would break existing pulse audio
> stuff, but wouldn't it make sense to export a V4L2 device
> instead of the custom /dev/cmt_speech ABI?

It is not good idea to break existing applications even if they
are closed... And there are some open source meego/nemo
pulseaudio modules which using cmt speech (but audio quality is
worse).

Anyway what is /dev/cmt_speech doing? If it exports gsm voice
call data, should not it have alsa snd interface?

V4L2 interface is not for video/camera/capture/tv cards?

--
Pali RohÃr
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx