Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Nov 16 2014 - 01:33:50 EST

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'll try that next, and check in on it tomorrow.
>
> No luck. Died even faster this time.

Yeah, and your other lockups haven't even been TLB related. Not that
they look like anything else *either*.

I have no ideas left. I'd go for a bisection - rather than try random
things, at least bisection will get us a smaller set of suspects if
you can go through a few cycles of it. Even if you decide that you
want to run for most of a day before you are convinced it's all good,
a couple of days should get you a handful of bisection points (that's
assuming you hit a couple of bad ones too that turn bad in a shorter
while). And 4 or five bisections should get us from 11k commits down
to the ~600 commit range. That would be a huge improvement.

Linus