Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Wed Nov 19 2014 - 18:54:42 EST

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2014, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:

>> > This is complete nonsense. pcpu allocations are populated right
>> > away. Otherwise no single line of kernel code which uses dynamically
>> > allocated per cpu storage would be safe.
>>
>> Note this isn't faulting because part of the allocation is
>> swapped. No it's all reserved in the physical memory, but it's a
>> lazy allocation. Part of it isn't yet addressed in the
>> P[UGM?]D. That's what vmalloc_fault() is for.
>
> Sorry, I can't follow your argumentation here.
>
> pcpu_alloc()
> area_found:
>
> /* clear the areas and return address relative to base address */
> for_each_possible_cpu(cpu)
> memset((void *)pcpu_chunk_addr(chunk, cpu, 0) + off, 0, size);
>
> How would that memset fail to establish the mapping, which is
> btw. already established via:
>
> pcpu_populate_chunk()
>
> already before that memset?

I think that this will map them into init_mm->pgd and
current->active_mm->pgd, but it won't necessarily map them into the
rest of the pgds.

At the risk of suggesting something awful, if we preallocated all 256
or whatever kernel pmd pages at boot, this whole problem would go away
forever. It would only waste slightly under 1 MB of RAM (less on
extremely large systems).

--Andy