Re: New crashes walking proc with Saturday's git

From: Chris Mason
Date: Sun Nov 23 2014 - 16:42:38 EST

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Chris Mason wrote:
On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Chris Mason wrote:

> > inconsistency

> > rc5
> >
> > I've adding Ingo and Stanislaw to the cc. With
> > 6e998916dfe327e785e7c2447959b2c1a3ea4930 reverted, I'm no longer
> > crashing.
> >
> > Repeating the stack trace for the new cc list. I see the crash with atop
> > or
> > similar walkers of /proc racing against exiting programs. Given the NULL
> > rip,
> > this line from the patch is probably broken, but it really feels like we
> > should be falling over on p->sched_class and not on the update_curr func.
> >
> > + p->sched_class->update_curr(rq);
> >
> > I'm leaving my fork bomb running on two machines with the patch reverted
> > make sure.
>
> The sched_class instances which do not have update_curr are stop_task
> and idle. Patch below.
>
> I'm sure nobody thought about the stats read code path here.
>
> [ 1053.759741] [<ffffffff81208348>] do_task_stat+0x8b8/0xb00
>
> do_task_stat(()
> thread_group_cputime_adjusted()
> thread_group_cputime()
> task_cputime()
> task_sched_runtime()
> if (task_current(rq, p) && task_on_rq_queued(p)) {
> update_rq_clock(rq);
> p->sched_class->update_curr(rq);
> }
>
> Now if the stats are read for a stomp machine task, aka 'migration/N'
> and that task is current on its cpu. Ooops.
>
> I added the callback for idle tasks as well for completeness sake.

This does make sense, but it doesn't match with the crash being much more
likely during the fork bomb. The difference is crashing within a few hours vs
crashing within 5 minutes.

The fork bomb will kick the migration task pretty often into life, so
the probablity of do_task_stat() to hit a running migration thread is
higher than on a normaly loaded machine.

Fair enough, I just had crashes_in_proc == races_with_exit stuck in my head ;) I've got a new xfstests run on the second machine to be sure, but this is definitely better.

-chris