Using kernel filesystems as userland libraries

From: Nicolas George
Date: Mon Nov 24 2014 - 09:06:07 EST

Hi.

With the libraries present in e2fsprogs, it is possible to open a plain file
(or any other reasonable storage) as an EXT2 filesystem and manipulate files
inside it.

Is it possible to use the implementations in the kernel to do the same thing
with any supported normal filesystem?

Obviously, it is theoretically possible, but my question is whether it has
been done in practice. I suppose it would require writing userland
replacement for the kernel APIs (memory management, access to block devices,
scheduling) and either rebuilding the kernel source as userland code or

Regards,

--
Nicolas George