Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Juergen Gross
Date: Wed Nov 26 2014 - 00:24:57 EST

On 11/26/2014 06:09 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Nov 25, 2014 8:39 PM, "JÃrgen GroÃ" <jgross@xxxxxxxx
<mailto:jgross@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> I COULD trigger it with 3.17. Took much longer, but I've seen it once.
> And from Xen hypervisor data it was clear it was the same bug (cpu
> spinning in pmd_lock()).

I'm still hoping you can give a back trace. I'd like to know what access
it is that can trigger this, and preferably what the call chain to it was...

Working on it. Triggering it via sysrq(l) isn't working: machine hung
up. I'll try a dump, but this might take some time due to the machine
size...

If this isn't working I can always modify the hypervisor to show me
more of the kernel stack in that situation. This will be a pure dump,
but it should be possible to extract the back trace from that.

I do believe it happened in 3.17, I just want to understand the but more
- not just apply the fix..

Sure.

Most of Dave's lockup back traces did not have the whole page fault in
them, so while Dave has seen this too, there might be different symptoms...

Stay tuned... :-)

Juergen