Re: net-PA Semi: Deletion of unnecessary checks before the function call "pci_dev_put"

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Sun Nov 30 2014 - 20:34:53 EST

> I know there has been some criticism about those kind of "code
> improvements" already but i would like to point out just one more thing:
>
> Some of those NULL pointer checks on input parameters may have been
> added subsequently to functions. So there may be older kernel versions
> out there in which those checks dont exists in some cases. If some of
> the now "cleaned up" code is backported to such a kernel chances are
> good that those missing checks are overseen. And then neither caller nor
> callee is doing the NULL pointer check.

I guess that the Coccinelle software can also help you in this use case.
How do you think about to shield against "unwanted" or unexpected collateral
evolutions with additional inline functions?

I assume that a few backporters can tell you more about their corresponding
software development experiences.
http://www.do-not-panic.com/2014/04/automatic-linux-kernel-backporting-with-coccinelle.html

Regards,
Markus