Re: Linux 3.19-rc1 - merge window closed

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun Dec 21 2014 - 00:09:32 EST

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 05:43:22PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So it's been a day less than two weeks, and the merge window is closed.
>
> Considering how much came in fairly late, I find it hard to care about
> anybody who had decided to cut it even closer than some people already
> did. That said, maybe there aren't any real stragglers - and judging
> by the size of rc1, there really can't have been much. Not only do I
> think there are more commits than there were in linux-next, this is
> one of the bigger rc1's (at least by commits) historically. We've had
> bigger ones (3.10 and 3.15 both had large merge windows leading up to
> them), but this was definitely not a small merge window.
>
> Anyway, we've got changes all over the place, including a new
> architecture (nios2). My "short mergelog" is appended, and as usual I
> want to point out that that credits the people sending me the changes,
> which is generally not necessarily at all the same thing as the people
> actually writing the code, even if there is obviously overlap.
>
> In the "big picture", this looks like a fairly normal release. About
> two thirds driver updates, with about half of the rest being
> architecture updates (and no, the new nios2 patches are not at all
> dominant, it's about half ARM, with the new nios2 support being less
> than 10% of the arch updates by lines overall). The remaining one
> sixth is "misc": networking, header updates, documentation,
> filesystems, tooling, and core kernel (in pretty much that order).
>
> Obviously, with the holidays coming up, I'd expect that the next few
> weeks are pretty quiet, but we'll see. I do hope that people will have
> time to test this all in between all the eggnog,

There are at least the never-resting auto-testers, which for mine report:

Build tests:
total: 133 pass: 133 fail: 0

Qemu tests:
total: 30 pass: 30 fail: 0

Details at http://server.roeck-us.net:8010/builders.

This is an absolute first; since I started testing, we never had an
-rc1 with no build or qemu failures. Excellent job everyone!

Guenter