Re: [Linux-ima-user] Initramfs and IMA Appraisal

From: Mimi Zohar
Date: Mon Dec 29 2014 - 08:45:56 EST

On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 10:15 +0100, Christophe Fillot wrote:

> > Are you using an initrd not an initramfs? According to
> > Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt, "If
> CONFIG_TMPFS
> > is enabled, rootfs will use tmpfs instead of ramfs by default".
> >
> Yes, that what I thought too, but it seems that it is not really the
> case because of this test:
>
> if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_TMPFS) && !saved_root_name[0] &&
> (!root_fs_names || strstr(root_fs_names, "tmpfs"))) {
> err = shmem_init();
> is_tmpfs = true;
> } else {
> err = init_ramfs_fs();
> }

[CC'ing Rob Landley, lsm, lkml]

Thanks! "saved_root_name" is set to the boot command line "root="
option, which in my case is the UUID. I'm not sure why real root should
impact the initramfs tmpfs/ramfs decision.

Unless there is a good explanation, did you want to post a patch to
remove the test?

Mimi