Re: Linux 3.19 - and merge window now open

From: Sedat Dilek
Date: Mon Feb 09 2015 - 01:11:14 EST

Hi,

some personal notes on this release.

Several warnings and call-traces which I saw in Linux-next (upcoming
v3.20) turned out to be also issues in v3.19.

[1] aio: annotate aio_read_event_ring for sleep patterns

[2] tracing: Add condition check to RCU lockdep checks
[3] x86/tlb/trace: Do not trace on CPU that is offline

Some words to [1]:
Honestly people should reply with pointing to a fix if I give them my
precious life-time.
By accident I found the fix when gasping over the last changes to v3.19.

I could spent some more time on "how to test a linux-kernel?", but
there should come clear words from experienced maintainers and/or
"father of Linux".
Personally, I test with my kernel-config and want to have a quick
feedback if it's "good".
Thus I used to run LTP "lite" script on my "rc" and "-next" kernels.
In case of filesystems fio [4] helped me to trigger some bugs
(replaced for me xfstests).
I am not sure if Documentation directory contains hints especially in
the topic of "testing a Linux kernel".

It's interesting to see "kbuild test robot <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx>"
[5] as an author of patches :-).
IOW that beast helped to trigger a lot of "build" bugs - my big respect!

Nevertheless, I prefer to run any of my kernels on bare metal.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] http://marc.info/?t=141929396100001&r=1&w=2