Re: intensive IO on usb-storage device causing system lock

From: Enrico Mioso
Date: Wed Feb 11 2015 - 11:31:17 EST

Thank you. If I'll be able I'll try.
Thank you again guys.
Enrico

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Alan Stern wrote:

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:21:50
From: Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Enrico Mioso <mrkiko.rs@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: intensive IO on usb-storage device causing system lock

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015, Enrico Mioso wrote:

Hello guys.
the problem is still reproducible with final 3.19 kernel - I can confirm it.
Re-sending the last trace here - don't know if it's available in cxg.de.

Please stop posting these process traces. They don't help.

Instead, post a usbmon trace showing what happens around the time when
the problem occurs. If the trace file is quite large (which is likely,
because usbmon can generate a lot of data in a short time), you can
cut out everything up to the last few hundreds of KB before the problem
starts.

For those who might not have read the thread - the problem is: after some
intensive IO to an USB (usb-storage) disk, for a more or less long time,
depending on the quantity of IO you do, there start to be situations where some
processes get stuck doing IO, in any case. Not IO to the USB disk, but IO also
to other devices, like the one where the root partition resides, in my case a
flash drive. I am using an EEE PC 701.

That sounds like the problem may lie somewhere other than in the USB
stack. But there's no way to tell without seeing a usbmon trace.

Alan Stern