Re: 1e918876 breaks r8169 (linux-3.18+)

From: Florian Westphal
Date: Sat Feb 21 2015 - 05:31:24 EST

Tomas Szepe <szepe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I tried to reproduce this without success so far on my RTL8168d/8111d device.
> > I've been running 40 parallel netperf TCP_STREAM tests (1gbit) for the
> > last 5 hours and so far I saw no watchdog tx timeouts.
> >
> > I'll keep this running for a day or so to see if it just takes more time
> > to trigger.
>
> So, how's this coming along? Don't you think the patch should be reverted
> until the problem is diagnosed/understood/fixed?

Sorry.

David, please consider reverting

1e918876853aa85435e0f17fd8b4a92dcfff53d6
(r8169: add support for Byte Queue Limits)

and

0bec3b700d106a8b0a34227b2976d1a582f1aab7
(r8169: add support for xmit_more)

I cannot reproduce any hangs (tried for 2days with 40 parallel
netperfs using both 100mbit and 1gbit receiver).

And I don't see anything wrong with the change either.
Seems like some revisions of the HW are just dodgy?

I hate giving up, but I have no means to diagnose this any further.
Even reporter says it doesn't affect all of his r8169 nics.

So I think the change is correct per se, but might be revealing some
HW/firmware bug.