Re: i8k: move driver from char to hwmon

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun Feb 22 2015 - 12:34:32 EST

On 02/22/2015 03:50 AM, Pali RohÃr wrote:
Hello,

currently i8k driver for DELLDIAG SMM operations (charger,
battery, hotkeys, temperature and fan control) supports two
interfaces:

1) old /proc/i8k char device
2) new hwmon interface

Driver now lives in char subsystem, but nowadays I think lot of
people are interested only in hwmon interface which provides
temperature & fan control. Power management and hotkeys support
(which is missing in 2) but provided by 1)) is already handled by
ACPI or input subsystem for new laptops.

Also name "i8k" is really non intuitive what it means and
supports... (I was told it is abbreviation for Inspirion 8000
model which was probably first dell model supported by that
DELLDIAG interface). Now driver is used on Vostro, Latitude and
also Precision and XPS models. I think at least "dell" should be
part of driver name and config option.

So I have idea for some changes:

1) Move driver from char subsystem to hwmon

I am ok with this one.

2) Rename driver from i8k to something like delldiag or dellsmm

Might be problematic, as it would break existing configurations
unless you keep the CONFIG_I8K but rename the driver. Driver names
are never perfect, so I would just leave it as is.

3) Add new CONFIG_ option to enable/disable /proc/i8k device and
compile only hwmon interface support

Makes sense. I would suggest to make hwmon suppport the default
and mandatory if the driver is enabled and add a new CONFIG_I8K_PROCIF
or similar which should be enabled by default.

Are you interested in adding yourself as maintainer for this driver ?

Thanks,
Guenter