Re: [RFC 0/6] the big khugepaged redesign

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Feb 23 2015 - 16:03:29 EST

Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@xxxxxxx> writes:

> This has been already discussed as a good
> idea and a RFC has been posted by Alex Thorlton last October [5].

In my opinion it's a very bad idea. It heavily penalizes the single
threaded application case, which is quite important. And it
would likely lead to even larger latencies on the application
base, even for the multithreaded case, as there is no good way
anymore to hide blocking latencies in the process.

The current single thead khugepaged has various issues, but this would
just make it much worse.

IMHO it's useless to do much here without a lot of data first
to identify the actual problems. Doing things first without analysis
first seems totally backwards.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only