Re: xsaves support broken?

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Mon Mar 02 2015 - 19:24:18 EST

On 03/02/2015 04:09 PM, Yu, Fenghua wrote:
> Xsaves has been tested by QA since 3.17 with or without MPX. I'm not
> aware of reported issues.
>
> But MPX is the only code to call the get_xsave_addr kernel API.
> Though it has been tested before on upstream MPX code.

Has it? I'm fairly sure I've never explicitly tested it. I'm also
doubting now that I've *ever* seen it work without booting with 'noxsaves'.

> What changes in your new MPX code?

I just discovered it when adding a new feature. I actually backed out
all of my changes before reporting this issue. I'm running a completely
untouched 4.0-rc1 kernel with the config I attached a moment ago.

If I boot with 'noxsaves', MPX works fine. If I boot without it, the
kernel never sees the values that userspace sets in the "bndcsr" register.