Re: brcmsmac not compliant to 802.11 for BCM4313

From: Nikita N.
Date: Thu Mar 05 2015 - 13:50:52 EST

Dear Arend,
thanks for answering, unfortunately the answers open new questions
indeed, if I may.

> > 1) What is assuring that proprietary "strict custom regulatory domain"
> > is not obsolete/deprecated and compliant to 802.11 regulations?
> This is a very hypothetical question. If regulation would indeed change
> in such way we would have to release new firmware.

That is not hypothetical at all, since we do *NOT* know what that
proprietary regdomain is enforcing.
That "strict custom regulatory domain" is proprietary Broadcom, hence
nobody knows what is written inside it, following all sad&known
considerations that Pat Erley explained (that is also the answer to you
Pat)
Now, to verify that such proprietary regdomain is enforcing a legal and
compliant regdomain, we should know it's details.
Question, is it possible to know how/what is written in that proprietary
regdomain inside the firmware?

> > 2) Regulatory domains can by 802.11 regulation change dynamically within
> > time/country, why BCM4313 users are obliged to lock only on 1
> > proprietary regdomain?
> This is not mandatory. Using 1 restricted world regulatory domain is
> fine as well as Pat Erley explained in his response.

Sorry, what is not mandatory?
It is not mandatory that users are obliged to lock only on 1 proprietary
regdomain?
Of course it is not, it is not fair nor compliant to any regulations I
know of - do you?
It is not mandatory that 802.11 regulations change? sure, but they
change, indeed.
It is not mandatory regdomains rules change? sure, but they change,
indeed.

> > 4) Has been done any step so far, to root the cause of this issue?
> I did hunt down a 4313 to do so and put it in my test laptop.
Thank you very much! :)
In the meantime, if you could please verify a possible solution coming
now to my mind.
I understood that Broadcom management doesn't want to give power
controls to user.
Very sad personally, but I don't see any help to that coming from you
(your managers).
So, maybe, do BCM4313 has more than 1 special proprietary preset
regdomain buried in the firmware?
If yes, it would be great if you could tell us (programmers) how we can
switch to any of those other preset regdomains.
So that we could test them, and find the one which best conform to our
local/country regulation.
It seems to me a fair compromise for solving that issue, isn't?

> > 5) Since I have spent money&time on that device, I would like at least
> > to monitor the work in progress done to root the cause of this issue -
> > how can I?
>
> You could create a bugzilla item on kernel.org.

Sure will do.
As soon as someone from Broadcom QA Testing Team, will find that the
root cause of that issue depends on Linux kernel.
I guess I already did my best to try debugging and solving for *free* a
Broadcom issue which: 1) doesn't depend on me, 2) is locked down in a
proprietary firmware, 3) is protected by secrecy of proprietary Broadcom
informations.

Thanks & Greetings.

--
Nikita N.