Re: Trusted kernel patchset

From: Simon McVittie
Date: Wed Mar 18 2015 - 07:33:45 EST

On 17/03/15 20:42, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 20:22 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
>> Is the intention instead that it will make privileged bits of userland
>> more careful to avoid breaking the trust chain in ways that would "fail
>> safe" by refusing to boot?
>
> Not really. It's intended to avoid the situation where privileged
> userspace is able to modify the running kernel to an extent that's
> broadly equivalent to booting an arbitrary kernel.

Sorry, I was imprecise about what I meant by "it". I understand that the
intention of the patchset as a whole is to prevent privileged userspace
from subverting the kernel; I was asking about the intention of the
ability to read from /sys/kernel/security/trusted_kernel.

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>