Re: PANIC: double fault, error_code: 0x0 in 4.0.0-rc3-2, kvm related?

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 18 2015 - 18:28:13 EST

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> But what if the GPF handler pagefaults afterwards? It'd be operating on
> user stack already.

So I think this might be the answer. We don't see the GP fault,
because we don't have a backtrace, because that backtrace is on the
user stack (which is why the stack trace dumping fails - we should
probably fix that, btw - the second oops is just confusing and not
helpful).

Is the intel check for canonical address (that __VIRTUAL_MASK_SHIFT
thing) perhaps wrong or not as strict as Intel CPU's do? We'd never
notice in normal situations..

Linus