Re: [RFC 01/19] extcon: add extcon-odroid-usbotg driver

From: Chanwoo Choi
Date: Fri Mar 20 2015 - 03:46:01 EST

Hi Robert,

On 03/20/2015 04:25 PM, Robert Baldyga wrote:
> Hi Chanwoo,
>
> On 03/19/2015 09:50 PM, Chanwoo Choi wrote:
>> Hi Roger,

>>> It is already queued for 4.1 and is available in linux-next.

>>> why not?
>>>
>>> x15-beagleboard also gets VBUS event over GPIO and I was planning to extent it
>>> to support VBUS detection.
>>
>> Sounds good to me to extent extcon-usb-gpio.c.
>> I'd like to hold only one extcon driver to support both USB and
>> USB-HOST with gpio .
>>
>> There are one more extcon-gpio driver in mailing list as following:
>> - extcon-usb-gpio.c (will be merged to Linux 4.1)
>> - extcon-odroid-usbotg.c
>> - extcon-otg_gpio.c [1]
>> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/2/19/411
>>
>> The each extcon gpio driver support both USB/USB-HOST cable by using
>> different way,
>> Because some board which detect USB/USB-HOST by gpio have a little
>> different pin composition
>
> These differences are small. In general we have three cases:
>
> 1. We have both VBUS and ID pin detection - we can detect USB, USB-HOST
> and cable disconnection.
>
> 2. We have only VBUS detection - we can detect USB and cable disconnection.
>
> 3. We have ID pin only - we can distinguish between USB and USB-HOST but
> without ability to detect cable disconnection.
>

>> I think only one extcon driver can support all cases with optional properties.
>
> So my driver in current form is ready for that. Only thing it would need
> to change is to make VBUS detection an option (for now is mandatory
> because all of supported Odroid boards have it). Then boards with VBUS
> detection only or ID pin detection only will be handled also. I can also
> change name of the driver to more generic. I'm going to prepare V2 on my
> patches today.

Could you implement this feature on extcon-usb-gpio.c to support various pin composition?
because extcon-usb-gpio.c was already implemented by Roger.
If you implement other extcon driver to detect USB/USB-HOST cable by using gpio,
there will be similar two extcon gpio driver for USB cable.

And,
As Roger comment, he have the plan to extend the extcon-usb-gpio.c.
So, If you will implement some feature for extcon driver with gpio,
I'd like you to share your plan this thread to remove duplicat work.

Thanks,
Chanwoo Choi