Re: 4.0.0-rc4: panic in free_block

From: David Ahern
Date: Fri Mar 20 2015 - 14:06:37 EST

On 3/20/15 10:58 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
That said, SLAB is probably also almost unheard of in high-CPU
configurations, since slub has all the magical unlocked lists etc for
scalability. So maybe it's a generic SLAB bug, and nobody with lots of
CPU's is testing SLAB.

Evidently, it is a well known problem internally that goes back to at least 2.6.39.

To this point I have not paid attention to the allocators. At what point is SLUB considered stable for large systems? Is 2.6.39 stable?

As for SLAB it is not clear if this is a sparc only problem. Perhaps the config should have a warning? It looks like SLAB is still the default for most arch.

DaveM: do you mind if I submit a patch to change the default for sparc to SLUB?

Now that the monster is unleashed, off to other problems...

Thanks,
David