Re: [2/9] powerpc/hv24x7: Remove unnecessary parameter

From: Sukadev Bhattiprolu
Date: Mon Mar 23 2015 - 18:19:28 EST

Michael Ellerman [mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
| On Tue, 2015-17-02 at 22:00:27 UTC, Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
| > Use pr_notice_ratelimited() to log error messages and remove
| > the 'success_expected' parameter.
|
| I don't understand how this is equivalent?

They are two unrelated changes that I should have separated.

| The current code uses success_expected to indicate that once it's done the
| request once and found that it works, it then expects the request to continue
| working, and if it doesn't then that is an error.

The current code is using success_expected to _not_ log an error if
that initial request fails. i.e we silently return -EIO here.

I think the 'success_expected' parameter is not really necessary.
We can simply log the message even for that initial request.

And we can log it a lower priority than KERN_ERR since the message
is mostly for developers rather than users who would use event names
(which encode/abstract the domain and offset values).