Re: [GIT PULL] ring-buffer: Replace this_cpu_*() with __this_cpu_*()

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Mar 24 2015 - 14:47:14 EST

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Any comment on this?

Yes we could do this but I am traveling a bit right now. Sorry not that
responsive.

It will not be strictly correct since a fetch or write could occur from a
different cpu and thereby kick out a cacheline. But that is minor I think.

The main issue is that this makes this_cpu_read/write different from other
this_cpu operations which guarantee that these are "per cpu atomic" in the
sense that they are either completely executed or not. But that is mostly
important for this_cpu_ ops that are RMV operations like this_cpu_inc().