Re: [v4 2/8] iommu, x86: Define new irte structure for VT-d Posted-Interrupts

From: Joerg Roedel
Date: Tue Mar 31 2015 - 11:16:52 EST

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 02:32:01AM +0000, Wu, Feng wrote:
> > I think it is better to put this as a union into struct irte. It saves
> > memory and unnecessary casting in later patches.
>
> Thanks for the comments!

Thinking more about this, I think its probably fine to keep the two
versions of the irte seperate like in this patch-set. It allows to
update the non-posted irte when the posted irte is active at the moment
and makes the transition between both irte variants easier.

But what I still don't like is the type casting necessary when calling
modify_irte(). Can you abstract this and put the decission whether irte
or irte_pi is set active into modify_irte? It required to change the
interface of modify_irte, but that should be easy.

Joerg