Re: linux-next: Tree for Mar 31 (build failures and culprits)

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Mar 31 2015 - 23:13:55 EST

On 03/31/2015 08:01 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
On Tue, 2015-03-31 at 19:18 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 03/31/2015 04:24 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 01:07 +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:16:40AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
alpha:allmodconfig
mips:allmodconfig

samples/kdbus/kdbus-workers.c: In function âprime_newâ:
samples/kdbus/kdbus-workers.c:930:18: error: â__NR_memfd_createâ undeclared
(first use in this function)
p->fd = syscall(__NR_memfd_create, "prime-area", MFD_CLOEXEC);

Looks like the kdbus example never worked for the affected architectures.
I don't build allmodconfig for all architectures, so other architectures
may be affected as well.

You need 3.17 kernel headers to have memfd_create, not much the kdbus
test code can do about that. You might want to update the kernel
headers for these build boxes.

Or just 'make headers_install' before building the samples should do it.

Sure, that works so well in a cross build environment.

Well yeah it does, I do it all the time.

But what you mean is that the samples are built with HOSTCC, so having the
cross headers doesn't help.

The real problem here is samples, they shouldn't be built with the kernel, they
should be a separate thing, like the selftests.

I "solved" the problem by disabling CONFIG_SAMPLES in my alpha and mips
builds.

FWIW, I think (suspect) that the samples builder does the equivalent
of "make headers_install" as part of the build process, but I don't
have time to track it down.

Guenter