Re: [Bugfix v3] x86/PCI/ACPI: Fix regression caused by commit 63f1789ec716

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Apr 09 2015 - 18:12:57 EST

On Thursday, April 09, 2015 05:00:08 PM Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Hi Rafael,
> >> I think we got this knowledge by experiences. PCI FW spec only
> >> states _CRS reports resources assigned to the host bridge by firmware.
> >> There's no statement about whether the resource is consumed by host
> >> bridge itself or provided to it's child bus/devices. On x86/IA64 side,
> >> the main resource consumed by PCI host bridge is IOPORT 0xCF8-0xCFF,
> >> but not sure about ARM64 side. So how about:
> >
> > This:
> >
> >> PCI Firmware specification states that _CRS reports resources
> >> assigned to the host bridge, but there's no way to tell whether
> >> the resource is consumed by host bridge itself or provided to
> >> its child bus/devices.
> >
> > looks OK to me, but I'd replace the below with something like:
> >
> > "However, experience shows, that in the PCI host bridge case firmware writers
> > expect the resource to be provided to devices on the bus (below the bridge) for
> > consumption entirely if its Consumer/Producer flag is clear. That expectation
> > is reflected by the code in this routine as follows:".
>
> What a mess. The spec is regrettably lacking in Consumer/Producer
> specifics. But I don't see what's confusing about the descriptors
> that have Consumer/Producer bits.
>
> QWord, DWord, and Word descriptors don't seem to have a
> Consumer/Producer bit, but they do contain _TRA, so they must be
> intended for bridge windows. Can they also be used for device
> registers? I don't know.
>
> The Extended Address descriptor has a Consumer/Producer bit, and I
> would interpret the spec to mean that if the flag is clear (the device
> produces and consumes this resource), the resource is available on the
> bus below the bridge, i.e., the bridge consumes the resource on its
> upstream side and produces it on its downstream side.

OK, that makes sense for bridges.

> If the bit were
> set (the device only consumes the resource), I would expect that to
> mean the descriptor is for bridge registers like 0xcf8/0xcfc that
> never appear on the downstream side.

That part is clear. What is not clear is whether or not we can *always*
expect the resources with Consumer/Producer *clear* to be produced on the
downstram side. That appears to be the case for host bridges if my
understanding of things is correct, but is it the case in general?

> Maybe I'm reading the spec too naively, but this doesn't seem a matter
> of experience.

Well, the specification is not clear enough in that respect, at least as
far as I can say, or maybe it is, but then does firmware always follow that
interpretation?

Rafael