Re: sched: Improve load balancing in the presence of idle CPUs

From: Jason Low
Date: Mon Apr 13 2015 - 14:56:05 EST

On Fri, 2015-04-10 at 14:07 +0530, Srikar Dronamraju wrote:

> > > Why are we updating nohz.next_balance here?
> >
> > This was just to make sure that since we're continuing the balancing on
> > another CPU that the nohz next_balance is guaranteed to be "now".
> >

> Since we are in nohz_idle_balance(), nohz.next_balance is guaranteed be
> less than now. We do check for time_before(now, nohz.next_balance) in
> nohz_kick_needed(). So in effect we are incrementing the nohz.next_balance.

Hi Srikar,

If now is equal to nohz.next_balance, we may attempt
nohz_balancer_kick().

After it does nohz.next_balance++ in nohz_balancer_kick(), now can be 1
less than the new nohz.next_balance value by the time
nohz_idle_balance() is attempted(). Without updating nohz.next_balance,
the time_before(now, nohz.next_balance) check in nohz_kick_needed() may
cause it to return false.