Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Mon Apr 13 2015 - 15:55:11 EST

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 09:49:27PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
> <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I remain opposed to this half thought out trash of an ABI for the
> >> meta-data.
> >
> > You don't have to enable the metadata if you don't want to use it, it's
> > an option :)
>
> Wasn't this also an argument for CONFIG_CGROUPS?
> Now we're forced to enable it by default to boot a recent distro
> and CONFIG_CGROUPS is still not fixed.

CONFIG_CGROUPS is "not fixed"? I think Tejun would like to have some
words with you :)

Anyway, yes, it's an option, but given that people are using this
metadata today in userspace just fine, I fail to see how having the
kernel be a transport for this same data is an issue. When the kernel
is the transport, it can do so in a race-free way, and you can properly
do security tests/logic based on it.

thanks,

greg k-h