Re: [Xen-devel] "tcp: refine TSO autosizing" causes performance regression on Xen

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Apr 15 2015 - 14:17:58 EST

On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 18:58 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2015, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-04-15 at 18:23 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> >
> > > Which means that max(2*skb->truesize, sk->sk_pacing_rate >>10) is
> > > *already* larger for Xen; that calculation mentioned in the comment is
> > > *already* doing the right thing.
> >
> > Sigh.
> >
> > 1ms of traffic at 40Gbit is 5 MBytes
> >
> > The reason for the cap to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes is
> > to provide the limitation of ~2 TSO packets, which _also_ is documented.
> >
> > Without this limitation, 5 MBytes could translate to : Fill the queue,
> > do not limit.
> >
> > If a particular driver needs to extend the limit, fine, document it and
> > take actions.
>
> What actions do you have in mind exactly? It would be great if you
> could suggest how to move forward from here, beside documentation.
>
> I don't think we can really expect every user that spawns a new VM in
> the cloud to manually echo blah >
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes to an init script. I cannot
> imagine that would work well.

I already pointed a discussion on the same topic for wireless adapters.

Some adapters have a ~3 ms TX completion delay, so the 1ms assumption in
TCP stack is limiting the max throughput.

All I hear here are unreasonable requests, marketing driven.

If a global sysctl is not good enough, make it a per device value.

We already have netdev->gso_max_size and netdev->gso_max_segs
which are cached into sk->sk_gso_max_size & sk->sk_gso_max_segs

What about you guys provide a new
netdev->I_need_to_have_big_buffers_to_cope_with_my_latencies.

Do not expect me to fight bufferbloat alone. Be part of the challenge,
instead of trying to get back to proven bad solutions.