Re: [RFC 1/4] fs: Add generic file system event notifications

From: Beata Michalska
Date: Fri Apr 17 2015 - 05:11:16 EST

Hi,

On 04/16/2015 10:10 PM, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Beata Michalska wrote:

>>> so:

>>> Every allocation/free for every supported filesystem system-wide will be
>>> serialized on this global spinlock? That sounds like a non-starter...
>>>
>>> -Eric
>>>
>> I guess there is a plenty room for improvements as this is an early version.
>> I do agree that this might be a performance bottleneck event though I've tried
>> to keep this to minimum - it's being taken only for hashtable look-up. But still...
>> I was considering placing the trace object within the super_block to skip
>> this look-up part but I'd like to gather more comments, especially on the concept
>> itself.
>
> Sorry, I have no opinion on the netlink fs notifications concept
> itself, not my area of expertise at all.
>
> No doubt you Cc'ed me for tmpfs: I am very glad you're now trying the
> generic filesystem route, and yes, I'd be happy to have the support
> in tmpfs, thank you - if it is generally agreed to be suitable for
> filesystems; but wouldn't want this as a special for tmpfs.
>
> However, I must echo Eric's point: please take a look at 7e496299d4d2
> "tmpfs: make tmpfs scalable with percpu_counter for used blocks":
> Tim would be unhappy if you added overhead back into that path.
>
> (And please Cc linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx next time you post these.)
>
> Hugh

Well, the concept of using netlink interface here is just a part of the overall
idea - so any comments are really welcomed here. The more of them the better solution
can be worked out, as I believe.

As for the possible overhead: this is the last thing I would want, so I'll
definitely do may best to not to introduce any. I will definitely rework this.

Thanks for Your comments,

BR
Beata