Re: [GIT RFC PULL rcu/urgent] Prevent Kconfig from asking pointless questions

From: Clark Williams
Date: Mon Apr 20 2015 - 12:36:13 EST

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:05:42 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Indeed, Linus complained about this one. ;-)
> >
> > :-) Yes, it's an essentially unanswerable question.
> >
> > > This Kconfig parameter is a stopgap, and needs a real solution.
> > > People with crazy-heavy workloads involving realtime cannot live
> > > without it, but that means that most people don't have to care. I
> > > have had solving this on my list, and this clearly increases its
> > > priority.
> >
> > So what value do they use, prio 99? 98? It might be better to offer
> > this option as a binary choice, and set a given priority. If -rt
> > people complain then they might help us in solving it properly.
>
> I honestly do not remember what priority they were using, it is
> not in email, and I don't keep IRC logs that far back. Adding
> linux-rt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on CC.

As I recall, we started out using fifo:1, but when you get heavy
workloads running at higher fifo priorities, we wanted to boost the rcu
worker threads over those workloads.

Currently the irq threads default to fifo:50, so maybe a good
default choice for the rcu threads on RT is fifo:49. That of course
presumes rational behavior on the part of application developers.

I seem to recall that you and I had a discussion about making this
value a runtime knob in /sys but that didn't go anywhere. Do we need to
crank that up again and just use the config as a default/starting
value? If so then we could just default to fifo:1 and let sysadmins
tweak the value to match up with the workload.

Clark