mips build failures due to commit 8dd928915a73 (mips: fix up obsolete cpu function usage)

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Apr 20 2015 - 15:40:39 EST

Hi,

the upstream kernel fails to build mips:nlm_xlp_defconfig,
mips:nlm_xlp_defconfig, mips:cavium_octeon_defconfig, and possibly
other targets, with errors such as

arch/mips/kernel/smp.c:211:2: error:
passing argument 2 of 'cpumask_set_cpu' discards 'volatile' qualifier
from pointer target type
arch/mips/kernel/process.c:52:2: error:
passing argument 2 of 'cpumask_test_cpu' discards 'volatile' qualifier
from pointer target type
arch/mips/cavium-octeon/smp.c:242:2: error:
passing argument 2 of 'cpumask_clear_cpu' discards 'volatile' qualifier
from pointer target type

The problem was introduced with commit 8dd928915a73 (" mips: fix up obsolete cpu
function usage"). I would send a patch to fix it, but I am not sure if removing
'volatile' from the variable declaration(s) would be a good idea.

I don't recall seeing the problem in -next, but unless I am missing something,
the patch never made it into -next to start with.

Guenter