Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Mon Apr 20 2015 - 16:04:07 EST

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 5:43 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri 17-04-15 11:54:42, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>> > Yes, memcg direct reclaim might trigger but we are no longer waiting for
>> > the OOM victim from non page fault paths so the time is bounded. It
>> > still might a quite some time, though, depending on the amount of work
>> > done in the direct reclaim.
>>
>> Is that still true if OOM notifiers are involved? I've lost track of
>> what changed there.
>
> memcg OOM is not triggered from get_user_pages. See 519e52473ebe (mm:
> memcg: enable memcg OOM killer only for user faults)
>
>> Any any event, I'm not entirely convinced that having a broadcast send
>> cause, say, PID 1 to block until an unbounded number of pages in a
>> potentially unbounded number of memcgs are reclaimed is a good idea.
>
> This deserves a clarification I guess. It is the memcg of the current
> task which gets charged during the page fault normally. So if PID1 tries
> to fault the memory in it will be its (most probably root) memcg which
> gets charged. If the memory was already charged to a different task's
> memcg and then it got swapped out, though, the PID1 would indeed wait
> for the reclaim in the target memcg to swap the page back in.
>
> In either case this sounds like a potential problem, because tasks
> could hide their memory charges from the limit or PID1 context could
> be blocked. But maybe I just misunderstood the and an uncharged memory
> cannot be used for the buffer.

Hmm. One of the explicit design goals of kdbus is for sandboxing,
i.e. creating a restricted view ("endpoint") and letting sandboxed
things talk to non-sandboxed things outside through that restricted
view.

Given that, the ability for a broadcast receiver to cause a sender
(PID 1?) to allocate root-memcg pages seems like it could be a
problem.

--Andy